The Pilea is easy to care for. The houseplant loves being in a bright spot. But it can also tolerate (partial) shade. The potting soil should always be kept damp. This plant is supplied in a plastic hanging pot. You can easily click off the handles to put the plant on a cupboard or shelf.
|Delivery type:||Supplied as container plant|
|Guarantee:||6 months growth and flowering guarantee|
|Latin name:||Pilea glaucophylla|
|Leafs all year:||Yes|
|Preferred location:||Half shadow|
What do I need?
- Decorative pot
- Potting soil (optional)
- Hydrograins (optional)
The Pilea is provided in a nursery pot. Once it arrives, place the Pilea and its nursery pot into a flower pot. Give it water right away and set the plant in a warm, bright location (no full sun).
How do I plant the Pilea in a pot without the nursery pot?
If you would like the Pilea to grow even more, you can place it directly into a decorative pot.
- Choose a pot that is at least 20% larger than the nursery pot.
- Cover the bottom of the pot with a layer of hydrograins and fill it with potting soil.
- Carefully remove the plant from the nursery pot.
- Plant the Pilea in the centre of the decorative pot and make sure that the root ball of the plant is about 1 to 2 cm below the edge.
- Fill the pot with fresh potting soil and press it lightly.
- Give it water right away and set the plant in a warm, bright location (no full sun).
What do I need?
- Watering can
- Plant sprayer
The Pilea is an incredibly low-maintenance, indoor plant. Water it once a week and give it plant food once every two weeks. The Pilea doesn’t like to be soaking wet, so it’s better to skip a round of watering than to water it again when the soil is still moist. It also thrives in high humidity.
This plant is sure to be noticed when you have one in your home. It originated in (sub-)tropical regions of America, Africa and Asia.
Pilea is actually a member of the stinging nettle (Urticaceae) family and is a well-known plant for its unusually decorative foliage.
The small leaved varieties will also thrive in a terrarium and look very beautiful.