Order this fabulous Schefflera today!
|Latin name:||Schefflera aboricola 'Gold Capella' XL|
|Delivery type:||Supplied as container plant|
|Guarantee:||6 months growth and flowering guarantee|
|Preferred location:||Half shadow|
|Leafs all year:||Yes|
|Growing Height:||50 - 150 cm|
You have a number of options when you receive your schefflera arboricola ‘Gold Capella’.
- Layer the base of an attractive planter with potsherds or gravel. A pot with holes in the base on a saucer is preferable. Stand your plant in the planter, nursery pot and all. Water immediately.
- Remove from the nursery pot and pot up in a nice planter with holes in the base and standing on a dish. Cover the holes in the pot with potsherds or a layer of gravel. Add fresh potting compost and stand the root ball at the correct height in the pot. Fill the pot with more compost (to around 3 cm below the edge of the pot) and press firmly in. Water immediately.
- The plant in its nursery pot can also just go in a pretty planter without holes. Stand the pot on hydro-pellets. Keep an eye on the water level in the base of the planter and remove it if too deep.
- Just stand your plant on a saucer, still in its nursery pot - you could have the hydro-pellets in the saucer too.
The best spot for your yellow variegated schefflera
The ideal spot for your Schefflerra arboricola is:
- Somewhere with lots of light but is protected from the full blast of the mid-day sun. Mornings and evenings are not a problem and will even be appreciated! About 3 metres from the window would probably be ideal.
- Somewhere warm - between 18 and 23 degrees centigrade. If you have underfloor heating, so much the better. Standing your schefflera above a radiator is not a good idea as your plant will dry out all the quicker with a resulting loss of leaf or leaves that turn brown.
- Somewhere with high humidity (60-70%). Spraying the plant to raise humidity levels will help a lot - spraying several times a day will help even more!
Water your yellow variegated schefflera a little at least 3 times a week for a continuous growth. Feed monthly with plant food for green plants. Water even more in warm summers but really only when the potting compost feels dry to the touch. If water drains off into the planter or saucer, empty it after 1 or 2 hours.
Yellow variegated schefflera arboricola goes naturally dormant in November and December. Then is the time to reduce watering and stop feeding but it can remain in the living room and need not be stood somewhere cooler. In January, you can start to increase with the watering and feeding again as above.
This plant requires less water, the more it is in the shade. For living rooms with humidity below 50%, spray once or twice daily. Use rain water or cooled boiled water to avoid lime marks from tap water on the leaves.
Normal growth will show that as the plant gets taller it can lose some of its lower leaves. The fact that some leaves turn brown is not unusual and doesn’t mean that there is a problem - just as long as it keeps making new ones. As they wither they can be cut off the plant with a pair of scissors.
Knowing all this, you will be able to keep your yellow variegated schefflera healthy and always looking fresh!
Schefflera arboricola ‘Gold Capella’ is a strong, easy to grow house plant. The yellow variegated leaves last a long time – the leaf is green on the underside which keeps it active for longer.
The yellow variegated schefflera is originally from the tropical rain forests of Taiwan where it usually grows in the shade. Eventually they become very large plants and can then take full sun – in the tropics they can reach up to 4 metres tall.
In temperate climes, the variegated schefflera arboricola makes a very popular house plant. The white flowers will only appear in tropical conditions so cannot be expected in our living rooms.
Schefflera is classified under Araliaceae.