This product is currently unavailable
Maybe you are interested in our alternatives: Green House Plants
|Delivery type:||Supplied as container plant|
|Guarantee:||6 months growth and flowering guarantee|
|Latin name:||Epipremnum pinnatum|
|Leafs all year:||Yes|
|Preferred location:||Half shadow, Shadow|
There are several options open to you upon receipt of your plant:
- Layer the bottom of a decorative pot with potsherds or gravel. A pot with holes in the base is preferred. Stand the Epipremnum pinnatum in the pot, nursery pot and all, and water immediately.
- Pot up to a decorative pot with holes in the base. Layer the base with potsherds or gravel, add potting compost and stand the Epipremnum pinnatum root ball at the correct depth. Fill up with potting compost and press firmly down. Water generously.
- Just stand the nursery pot on a saucer and water immediately.
The best spot for this large houseplant
The most ideal position for your plant is:
- Somewhere with lots of light but somewhat shaded from the strongest midday sun. It likes a lot of sun, just not too hot! Around 3 metres from the window is probably best. Shade will also be tolerated and even as far as 6 metres from the window is fine.
- Somewhere warm (18-23 degrees centigrade) – underfloor heating would be perfect although directly beside or above any central heating is inadvisable as the warm air would dry the plant out too quickly – chance of brown leaves.
- Somewhere relatively humid (60-70% humidity). Spraying the plant to keep humidity up will help – several times a day won’t hurt.
The Epipremnum pinnatum (monstera) is a genuine jungle plant and really does not like full sun! The Epipremnum pinnatum likes moist air. Spray the leaves regularly with rainwater to keep them fresh looking. You will soon tell if the air is too dry as the edge of the leaves will start to dry.
The warmer and more humid the air, the better and bigger the leaves will grow!
Water regularly – twice a week in spring and summer, once a week in autumn and winter. Add houseplant feed for leafy plants to the watering can fortnightly when the plant is in growth.
Keep your Epipremnum pinnatum warm (never below 15 degrees centigrade) and keep out of direct sunlight.
Epipremnum pinnatum belongs to the Arecaceae family and is originally from the tropical rainforests of Asia and Africa where the leaves can grow as large as 1 metre long! In your living room, 15-20 cm is certainly possible under ideal conditions.
The leaf is an attractive yellow and green. The flowers are inconspicuous.