Taking care of this indoor plant is a piece of cake! The dragon tree likes having light, but not strong, midday sun. Water the plant weekly. The Dracaena has a dormant period in the winter. During this period, the plant only needs to be watered occasionally. Water it a bit more in the summer. The leaves should also be sprayed occasionally. This prevents the leaf edges from drying out.
|Delivery type:||Supplied as container plant|
|Guarantee:||6 months growth and flowering guarantee|
|Latin name:||Dracaena fragans White Stripe|
|Leafs all year:||Yes|
|Preferred location:||Half shadow, Shadow|
Upon receipt of your dragon tree (Dracaena fragrans 'White Stripe') you have several options:
- Stand it in an attractive planter with holes in the base. Cover the holes with a layer of gravel or potsherds and stand the plant, complete with nursery pot on top. The planter will need to be stood in a dish to collect drained off water.
- Pot it up into an attractive planter with holes in the base. Cover the holes with a layer of gravel or potsherds and add potting compost. Stand the root ball at the correct depth and fill the pot with compost around the roots. Press firmly down - leave a space of about 3 cm from the top edge of the pot. Stand the planter in a dish to collect drained off water.
- Stand it in an attractive planter without holes but do layer the bottom of the pot with gravel so the plant's pot is off the bottom. A wide planter is best as then you can see whether or not the bottom of the pot is standing in water or not.
- Or just stand the plant, nursery pot and all, on a dish - on a layer of gravel, or just directly on the dish.
The ideal spot for your Dracaena
The most perfect spot for your Dracaena fragrans 'White Stripe' is:
- One with lots of light but that is sheltered from the hottest midday sunlight - early mornings or evenings are not a problem (in fact it will appreciate it!). Usually somewhere around 3 metres from a window is ideal.
- Somewhere warm - 18-23 degrees centigrade - wonderful if you happen to have under floor heating. Immediately next to or above a radiator will not be appreciated (it will dry the potting compost out too quickly, giving more chance of leaf drop).
- Somewhere with high humidity (60-70%). Spraying the plant regularly will help - 2 or 3 times a day even!
Watering your dragon tree weekly will help it to grow well - add some plant food for leafy plants to the water fortnightly. Water 2x a week in the warm summer season but do wait until the compost feels dry to the touch. In November and December, Dracaena fragrans 'White Stripe’ goes naturally into dormancy. During this time reduce watering, keep the plant on the dry side and stop feeding. Continue as before after the dormant period is past.
In living rooms with a low humidity (< 50%) the plant will appreciate being sprayed once or twice a day. A chalky residue will show on leaves in areas with hard water so we advise using rainwater or cool boiled water to spray.
As the plant generally grows towards the light, it is a good idea to give it a quarter turn every month - standing it, pot and all, on a wheeled base makes this easier of course.
Although a fairly large plant, the dragon tree (Dracaena fragrans 'White Stripe') will appreciate being stood outdoors on a warm but rainy day. It will really perk up after a shower.
During normal growth as the plant gets taller it is natural for the plant to lose its lower leaves - do not worry if they turn yellow and drop off, as long as it continues to make new ones.
Remember all of the above and you can keep your dragon tree healthy and looking fresh for a long time.
Dracaena fragrans is an easily grown and sturdy houseplant.
The Dracena is originally from the tropics of Africa - from the Sudan to Mozambique and from Angola to the Ivory Coast. It is used in those regions as a decorative outdoor plant in public places but in temperate climes like ours the Dracaena fragrans ‘White Jewel’ makes a very popular houseplant.
Dracaena belongs to the lily family (Asparagaceae).