|Latin name:||Dracaena fragrans 'Golden Coast'|
|Delivery type:||Supplied as container plant|
|Guarantee:||6 months growth and flowering guarantee|
|Preferred location:||Half shadow, Shadow|
|Leafs all year:||Yes|
|Growing Height:||40 - 110 cm|
You have a number of options upon receipt of your Cornstalk dracena (Dracaena fragrans) ‘Golden Coast'.
- Cover the base of an attractive planter with potsherds or a layer of hydro pellets. A pot with holes in the base on a dish is preferable. Stand your plant in the planter, nursery pot and all. Water immediately.
- Remove from the nursery pot and pot up to a nice planter with holes in the base and standing on a dish. Cover the holes in the pot with potsherds or a layer of hydro pellets. Add fresh potting compost and stand the root ball at the correct height in the pot. Fill the pot with more compost (to around 3 cm below the edge of the pot) and press firmly down. Water immediately.
- Just stand your plant on a dish, still in its nursery pot.
The best spot for your Cornstalk dracena (Dracaena fragrans) ‘Golden Coast'
The most perfect spot for your plant is:
- One with lots of light but that is sheltered from the hottest midday sunlight - early mornings or evenings are not a problem (in fact it will appreciate it!). Usually somewhere around 3 metres from a window is ideal but this plant really can take the shade so even 6 metres from a window will do it no harm.
- Somewhere warm - 18-23 degrees centigrade - wonderful if you happen to have under floor heating. Immediately next to or above a radiator will not be appreciated (it will dry the potting compost out too quickly, giving more chance of leaf drop).
- Somewhere with high humidity (60-70%). Spraying the plant to raise humidity levels will help a lot - spraying several times a day will help even more!
Water your Cornstalk dracena weekly to keep it growing continuously. Feed fortnightly with plant food for green plants. Water twice a week in warm summers but really only when the potting compost feels dry to the touch. Cornstalk dracena (Dracaena fragrans) ‘Golden Coast' has a natural dormant period in November and December and will then require less watering and no feed. In January, continue with watering and feeding again as above.
This plant requires less water, the more it is in the shade. For living rooms with humidity below 50%, spray once or twice daily. Use rain water or cooled boiled water to avoid lime marks from tap water on the leaves.
This plant will grow towards the light. You can easily prevent this by turning the whole plant once a month with a quarter turn to keep it straight.
Here's a tip: stand the pot in its dish on a wheeled base for ease of movement.
Although a fairly large plant, the Cornstalk dracena (Dracaena fragrans) ‘Golden Coast' will appreciate being stood outdoors on a warm but rainy day. It will really perk up after a shower.
As in its natural habitat, it will regularly lose its lower leaves - do not worry if they turn yellow and drop off, as long as it continues to make new ones.
Knowing all this, you will be able to keep your Cornstalk dracena (Dracaena fragrans ‘Golden Coast' healthy and looking fresh for a long time.
Dracaena fragrans is a strong houseplant, easily grown.
The dracena is originally from the tropics of Africa - from the Sudan to Mozambique and from Angola to the Ivory Coast. It is used in those regions as a decorative outdoor plant but in temperate climes the Dracaena fragrans ‘Golden Coast' makes a very popular houseplant.
Dracena is a relative of the lily (Asparagaceae).